Sunday, September 30, 2007

Adventures in Figure Painting

Painting and drawing the human figure is one of my favorite activities. I don't paint from the figure as much as I would like, because models are expensive, but I sketch people in public places as much as I can, and from time to time I splurge on a model. Here is a sampling of my figure work.

"Figure Study", ink on newsprint, 24"x18", 1973. This was my first nude model. It was the fall of my senior year in high school, and I was visiting Carnegie Mellon University to see if I would like to apply there. I was invited to sit in on a Saturday morning figure drawing class. A student gave me some newsprint, a brush, and ink. The model led the class in calisthenics around the room, and then the teacher had the model take short poses, beginning with 2 seconds (!) We were instructed to make one or two fast strokes on the paper to record the gesture of the pose, and then it would change. Two second poses became ten seconds, then thirty seconds, then two minutes. Brushes and paper were flying! By the time the model sat for a twenty minute pose, it felt like we had a very long time. This drawing was the result.

"June", pastel, 19"x25", 1994

"Reclining Nude", pastel, 19"x25"

"Eric", pastel, 25"x19"

"Dennis", oil on canvas, 38"x30"

"The Letter", oil on canvas, 56"x42"

"Shane", oil on linen, 14"x12"

"Model", oil on canvas, 26"x20"




No comments: