Saturday, October 29, 2022

A beautiful morning, a cold afternoon

We went back over to Martha Beck Dr, the nearby street that has the wonderful view of rocks that I keep painting. I wanted to finish the painting I started there yesterday afternoon, but the tide was too different, so I turned to the left and painted the view into some trees, with the sea beyond. I was bundled up, but it was so warm and sunny over there that I shed some layers. I didn't finish this one, but either I will finish it in the studio or maybe we'll go back there tomorrow.


Trees and sea, oil on canvas, 14"x16"

The tide and light started looking about the same as yesterday, so I put this first painting aside and pulled out the unfinished one from yesterday. The tide was high and started going out. The sun was starting to go behind some trees and it got decidedly chillier and windy. I put all my layers back on, but still felt pretty cold. I feel like I improved this painting from yesterday, but I may do a little more to it in the studio. I think that island on the right may be Monhegan again. I stopped when we completely lost the light and my fingers were too cold to work anymore.


View from Martha Beck Drive, oil on canvas, 16"x20"