Saturday, October 22, 2022

This is the spot!

I went back to the same spot I painted yesterday, and decided that I could paint there for the rest of the trip and never use it up! It's just so beautiful and amazing, and very quiet and private. There are houses, but either they are empty or the people are just not coming out. 

The tide was almost low when I started, and then it started coming back in. That, I think is the ideal time, with either high tide or low tide in the middle. It doesn't seem to change as radically. The day was clear and the light didn't really change until the sun started going down. 

I intended to include more in the painting - there was a pine tree on the left that I meant to include - but somehow I just focused on the rocks and made them bigger than they would have been. That island in the distance was actually much further to the left, but I moved it!

Painting moving water feels impossible - there is a rhythm to the waves, but in looking out and then painting them, I always seem to catch the waves at different points. I tried not to make them look too even - I hope it works.

I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow and trying a larger canvas.


oil on Senso linen panel, 9"x12"

click the picture for a larger view




No comments: