Friday, October 21, 2022

Cold and Windy

When you walk up the street to the right of our house, after walking uphill through some beautiful, deep woods, you come around a curve and get a glimpse of the ocean. 

I've been wanting to paint there since we arrived. There's a beautiful little cove that the waves endlessly run into. It's so relaxing to stare at. I walk over there almost every day, at least once. It's about .3 miles away, and has a good steep hill so your heart really gets going! 

This morning I walked over there to see how the light was. Since it faces east, the sun was blinding on the water. So no morning painting there. I went back around 2:30, and the light was perfect! Of course, I drove over, since .3 miles up a steep hill is just too much with all my gear. There's a little area where one car can park. The wind was very stiff over there and the temperature felt much colder than on our side. I had to go back home and get my down vest and hat (I had also forgotten to pack my brushes (!) I got them, too.

I took a photo of what I was going to paint, and got busy.


And here is my painting:

oil on canvas panel, 6"x8"

This is the first time I've attempted to paint surf, and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to have to tweak this a bit, because the ocean color needs to get lighter and more desaturated as it moves toward the horizon. I'd also like to clean up the horizon line, since I didn't have a straight edge or even a mahl stick to steady my hand. Since I was seriously freezing, and the light was starting to change, I had to stop. I will definitely return to this spot to paint again.


No comments: