Thursday, October 27, 2022

We painted a lighthouse

After 4 days of fog and rain, (yesterday it POURED all day,) this morning dawned clear, warm and beautiful. We went to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse to paint. At first the sun was shining, then a few clouds came along, then a few more, and soon the sun was covered. Just as I had put the clouds into my painting, they all blew away and the sky was clear and cloudless. So I decided to remove the clouds from my painting. It also got super windy for a while, which almost knocked my brushes in their holder onto my palette, but luckily I caught them before they hit the palette. It was so warm that I had to roll up my sleeves. I had brought extra warm clothes, because I didn't know how it would feel down at the point, but it was just a wonderful, windy, warm (in the 60s) day. 

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, oil on canvas, 12"x16"

(click the pictures for a larger view)

After I finished painting (or rather was forced to stop because the light changed too much - I will tweak it a little in the studio,) I walked around and took some photos of the birds and the waves. That island off in the distance is Monhegan, I think. We're going back tomorrow to knock out another quick painting there. It's only a 9-minute drive from our house.


Me and my painting buddies


Rocks, birds and waves


I think that island off in the distance is Monhegan. I would love to visit it on another trip.